Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Should I stick with my Liberal Arts degree plan or go for something more marketable?

I am a creative-type who is currently in an English degree program. I was thinking about going to a degree plan that would be more marketable, and maybe just getting an English minor. I'm not interested in a straight business admin degree, so can you suggest any degree plans (ex, marketing or communications)? Or do you think I should just stick with the Liberal Arts degree?





I don't know what I want to do as far as a career. I may get in to teaching, though I can get an alternative teaching cert if I wanted.Should I stick with my Liberal Arts degree plan or go for something more marketable?
I got my bachelor's degree in 1991; back then the conventional wisdom was that the most ';marketable'; career was computer science. Hey--check out all the unemployed software designers and programmers in Silicon Valley, mortgaged up to their hard drives and wishing they had just gone to art school! Always, always, always follow your passion. There is no such thing as ';marketable'; in today's economy. Here's how you know if you are doing what you love: When you are doing it, you lose track of time (as opposed to watching the clock and waiting for quitting time). Good luck, and follow your heart! That way you can't lose.Should I stick with my Liberal Arts degree plan or go for something more marketable?
Go in for something you like doing. If it involves lots of money so much the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment